2021 Kinder Information
WELCOME TO THE CANTERBURY & DISTRICT PRE-SCHOOL VIRTUAL TOUR
We are so proud of our wonderful kindergarten! Due to COVID-19, we have had to think differently about how we can
showcase some of the things we believe make our kinder so special, and give you a little insight into what it is that we offer.
So, welcome to our very first Virtual Tour. We hope you enjoy.
Our mission is to provide a safe, supportive and nurturing environment where children develop physically, socially, emotionally and cognitively.
OUR 2021 PROGRAMS
3 Year Old Program
Running on a Monday & Thursday between 8:30am -3pm.
Interested in learning more about our dedicated 3 year old program?
For more information, including fees and how to enrol, please click the link below.
4 Year Old Program
We offer three timetables, with our sessions running 8:30am – 4:00pm, on a choice of 2 days per week.
To learn more, including timetables, fees, educational and development goals, then please click the link below.
Exceeding National Quality Standards
Canterbury and District Preschool supports the Victorian Early Years Learning and development Framework. (VEYLDF)
The Canterbury and District Pre-School was assessed as Exceeding National Quality Standards in all 7 Quality Areas in its first assessment (April 2015)
GETTING KINDER READY FOR 2021
There are lots of things you can do to prepare your child for kindergarten, and we have listed some our favourite tips here!
PRIOR TO STARTING
- Borrow library books about kindergarten to read together.
- Encourage your child to practice dressing themselves, so they can manage tasks like taking their jumper on and off.
- Label all belongings that your child will take to kinder – trust us – this is important if you ever want to see your child’s things again! And try to avoid bringing anything to kinder that you can’t afford to lose!
- Establish a routine for kindergarten mornings – this could include a chart with pictures outlining the different steps for getting ready.
- Create a routine around sleep – at this age, children need 10 to 12 hours sleep each night. Practice sticking to bedtime and wake up schedules in the weeks leading up to the start of kinder.
ON THE FIRST DAY
- Enjoy a healthy breakfast together – a hungry child is not a happy child!
- Talk to your child about what to expect and when you will pick them up.
- Follow the kindergarten’s instructions about what to bring (e.g. sunhat, spare clothes, lunchbox etc.).
- Prepare the night before, lay out clothing you both agree on and pack their bag together. Make this fun & exciting!
- Encourage your child to follow your morning routine and remind them of next steps.
- Make sure you say goodbye – disappearing quietly can cause greater distress and mistrust. So, we don’t recommend sneaking out whilst they are not looking!
- Ensure you are on time at the end of the session to pick up your child – nobody likes to be the last child sitting on the mat!
- Be enthusiastic and positive and show an interest in what happened during the day – this is the start of an amazing journey.